THE CONSTITUTION OF RUSSIAN FEDERATION
Chapter 8. Local Self-Government
1. Local self-government in the Russian Federation shall ensure independent
solution by the population of local issues, the ownership, use and disposal
of municipal property.
2. Local self-government shall be exercised by the citizens through referendums,
elections and forms of expression of their will, through elected and other
bodies of local self-government
1. Local self-government shall be exercised in the cities, rural areas
and other localities taking into account historical and other local traditions.
The structure of bodies of local self-government shall be determined by
the population independently.
2. The borders of territorial entities under local self- government shall
be changed only with the consent of their population.
1. The bodies of local self-government shall independently manage municipal
property, form, approve and execute the local budget, establish local
taxes and levies, ensure law and order and solve any other local issues.
2. The bodies of local self-government may be invested under law with
certain state powers with the transfer of material and financial resources
required to exercise such powers. The exercise of the powers transferred
shall be supervised by the state.
Local self-government in the Russian Federation shall be guaranteed by
the right to judicial protection and compensation for any additional expenses
arising from the decisions passed by the bodies of state power, and the
ban on the restrictions of the rights of local self-government established
by the Constitution of the Russian Federation and federal laws.
For further details please contact:
tel: (01) 492 34 92
fax: (01) 492 35 25